Documents you need to translate when you want to work abroad

Documents you need to translate when you want to work abroad will always be a must for professionals looking for work in another country. Moving abroad isn’t just about catching a flight, especially if you are a qualified and in demand professional. In today’s interconnected world, many people look for work in other countries through LinkedIn or other platforms.

When translating official work documents, several aspects should be considered. Nobody is going to hire you from another country without being sure of who you are or your professional profile.


It’s time to work abroad…But where to?

In this post, you’ll not find the keys to finding work overseas, as they are almost long enough to write a book. However, there are many resources that can come in handy.

Let’s focus on the moment we take the step to move. Saying “Yes, I’m interested” to a job offer abroad and receiving a “Yes, we may be interested” back from the company is our starting point.

This is where the paperwork begins. Obviously, if you’re looking for work in another country that speaks a certain language, it’s because you have a good level of that language. Therefore, do we present our CV in English, French or German? If only it were that easy…



Depending on the country we want to go to, we’ll have to prepare well since the documents required to work in another country will be very different.


What documents do I need to translate to work in Europe?

Many British people seeking overseas employment usually favour countries such as New Zealand, Australia or Canada.

However, in the European Union, everything is much more straightforward: university degrees are easily recognised between countries for example. This applies under the European Qualifications s Framework EQF). It remains unclear the impact that the Brexit negotiations will have on British graduates, though.

When in an EU country, periods of work or contributions in other EU countries also count as if you had been in that country’s social security system.

For these cases, the required translations will be fewer than in other countries. In addition, you can contract a sworn translation of academic documents from your own country, as it counts as an official translation from a Member State.


Which official documents do I need to work in Australia or New Zealand?

Not everyone wants to work within the EU. In these cases, you’d better be careful. There are certain countries that are very demanding in terms of immigration, and where the business culture is also very rigorous in terms of documentation.

It’s a cultural issue: there are places where they’re satisfied with just being able to read and understand what is in front of them. Others, on the other hand, only accept translations accredited at their borders.

If you’re considering emigrating to a non-EU country, it’s best to have the most important documents translated by a sworn translator. For instance, think of: academic qualifications, medical or marriage certificates, etc.

There are some exceptions. Some countries that have their own parameters. The example is the translation of documents for work abroad programs in Australia or New Zealand. Countries that, by the way, are increasingly looking for skilled professionals with very attractive salaries.

NAATI translation is required to work in Australia

In Australia, translators have the NAATI (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters). Therefore, no one can officially practice without the seal granted by the State to those who pass the exams. It’s like psychologists or lawyers here: to be able to work you must prove your professional worth.

No matter how good a professional English translator you know, they won’t be of any use to you for sworn translations of professional documents for living in New Zealand. You’ll need your documents to be signed by someone with NAATI accreditation (and no, your translator being called Nathalie doesn’t count!)

NZSTI translation is recommended to work in New Zealand

In New Zealand, although the translators are not necessarily registered, there is a very strong and prestigious professional association: the NZSTI (New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters).

In New Zealand, although it’s not mandatory to get a stamp from the association, companies usually dislike you giving them a document that has not been translated by someone accredited by the NZSTI. Thus, on the New Zealand governments’ website where they explain the profession, although it doesn’t appear as a requirement to belong to the NZSTI, it is mentioned as a reference.


At Ontranslation we’ll make your life easier

Whatever country you are moving to, we can provide you with a comprehensive solution to the translation of work documents when you want to work abroad.

We’ll find the best qualified professionals so that your official documents will be the best introductory letter for your new work adventure.

We’ll also advise you on the requirements that your work documents must meet: we’ll tell you if a simple translation is enough, if you need a sworn translation or if in the case of Australia and New Zealand, you need to translate your documents to work abroad with a NAATI or NZSTI stamp.

Your professional future begins with a good translation!

Shall we talk?

About the author

Oscar Nogueras

Es el CEO de Ontranslation y dedica algunos ratos libres a escribir en este blog para compartir sus conocimientos sobre internacionalización, cross-border ecommerce y Traducción SEO. No es para menos, ya que entre su formación cuenta con una licenciatura en filología inglesa, un máster en tradumática, un posgrado en elearning y un MBA. En definitiva, una declaración de intenciones donde la cultura y los idiomas se sirven mezclados, no agitados.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *